Chapters List Suras List Last Portion Next Portion
53. I do not exculpate myself. Lo! the (human) soul enjoineth unto evil, save that
whereon my Lord hath mercy. my Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.
53. "Nor do I absolve my own self (of blame): the (human soul) is certainly prone
to evil unless my Lord do bestow His Mercy: but surely certainly my Lord
is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful."
54. And the king said: Bring him unto me that I may attach him to my person.
And when he had talked with him he said: Lo! thou art today our presence
established and trusted
54. So the king said: "Bring him unto me; I will take him specially to serve
about my own person." Therefore when he had spoken to him he said: "Be assured
this day thou art before our own Presence with rank firmly established and
fidelity fully proved!"
55. He said: Set me over the storehouses of the land I am a skilled custodian.
55. (Joseph) said: "Set me over the storehouses of the land: I will indeed
guard them as one that knows (their importance)."
56. Thus gave We power to Joseph in the land. He was the owner of it where
be pleased. We reach with our mercy whom We will. We lose not the reward
of the good.
56. Thus did We give established power to Joseph in the land to take
possession therein as when or where he pleased. We bestow of Our mercy
on whom We please and We suffer not to be lost the reward of those
who do good.
57. And the reward of the Hereafter is better, for those who believe
and ward of (evil).
57. But verily the reward of the Hereafter is the best for those who
believe and are constant in righteousness.
58. And Joseph's brethren came and presented themselves before him,
and he knew them but they knew him not.
58. Then came Joseph's brethren: they entered his presence and he
knew them but they knew him not.
59. And when he provided them with their provision he said: Bring
unto me a brother of yours from your father. See ye not that I fill
up the measure and I am the best of hosts?
59. And when he had furnished them forth with provisions (suitable)
for them he said: "Bring unto me a brother ye have of the same father
as yourselves (but a different mother): see ye not that I pay out
full measure and that I do provide the best hospitality?
60. And if ye bring him not unto me, then there shall be no measure
for you with me, nor shall ye draw near.
60. "Now if ye bring him not to me ye shall have no measure (of corn)
from me nor shall be ye (even) come near me."
61. They said: We will try to win him from his father: that we will
61. They said: "We shall certainly seek to get our wish about him
from his father: indeed we shall do it."
62. He said unto his young men: Place their merchandise in their
saddlebags, so that they may know it when they go back to their
folk, and so will come again.
62. And (Joseph) told his servants to put their stock in trade (with
which they had bartered) into their saddlebags so they should know
it only when they returned to their people in order that they might
Chapters List Suras List Last Portion> Next Portion